08 September 2007

as she balefully glowers

Yesterday, my guy and I went out for the evening.  First we went to a lil pizza place downtown off the square that has the best New York style pizza I've encountered in Mississippi.  Then we went to Uptown Coffee which is uhm downtown, off the square.  Later we went to the last showing of "3:10 to Yuma".  I say 'last showing' because for some reason this theater doesn't show midnight movies, so the last showing could start anywhere from 9:30 to 10:45.  I like midnight movies, so I was more than a tad confused.

I must say that this remake of "3:10 to Yuma" (which is originally based on Elmore Leonard's short of the same name) with its cast of Russel Crowe, Christian Bale, Ben Foster, and many others, is gritty and yet believable, for the most part.  If you like westerns, than this movie is sure to be a big hit with you.  If you don't care for westerns but do like movies with punch, great character development, and a touch of history, than this movie will do it for ya, too.  In fact the only thing this movie isn't rich with is slap-stick schtick and vapid romance.  And when is the last time you thought of that type of flat-characterization as 'rich'?

So my point is, catch the "3:10".

1 comment:

  1. I used to love midnight movies too!  Even if they were total crap.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!