15 September 2005

I don wanna grow up

Actually, that's a lie.  I do wanna grow up.  I'm soon to be 35 and in most societies, that would qualify me as having grown-up status.  But, some days and in some ways, I feel SO not like a grown-up.

John Scalzi's assignment 77 is about whatcha wanna be when ya grow up?  And what did your parents want you to be when you grew up.

When I was a child, I wanted to be what I thought were the only to options available to females:  a nurse or a teacher.  Actually I wanted to be both.  And sometimes I threw in a totally unrelated occupation like ventriloquist.  In my spare time, of course, I would volunteer for libraries and teaching english as a second language.

My parents, I think they just raised me knowing that I would go to college and kick proverbial ass at whatever I decided to do.  Even if it was raising chickens in Montana.  In undergrad, I majored in German, Philosophy, and Sociology.

I did my Master's in Sociology.  My partial PhD is in Sociology.  And guess what?  I've been teaching at various colleges and universities in PA, GA, AL, and MS for about 15 years.  Including, working in the student health center as an undergrad (I was not a nurse though) and later a clinic the year I turned 30 (still not a nurse).  Nursing is not an occupation I see in my future.

For the first time in my life, I am considering the wife/motherhood route.  In addition to being a sociologist.  And the cool thing is, what I've always wanted to do, deep down, was be a story-teller.  Sociology can be about crafting stories of cultures and such.  So, I might yet have all the best aspects of the world.

Ya know, when I grow up.

9 comments:

  1. I tried mine in the other order - did the wife and mother thing first and now at 38 I'm back in school working on the degree.  Somedays I think this would have been so much easier if I would have done it the other way around!  http://journals.aol.com/pixiedustnme/Inmyopinion/entries/1271

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be great at whatever you choose, Doodle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that after you got everything in sociology you will make a wonderful mother..."when you grow up."
    http://journals.aol.com/dragonrose3911/PIT/entries/670

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you. Let's stay kids!

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the truth in this!  It took me a while to unravel all the junk woven into who I was, before I got honest with myself...now I'm on my way to who I really am. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why grow up when its so fun staying a kid? lol

    Kristina
    http://journals.aol.com/skunkyrip/NewBeginnings/entries/754

    ReplyDelete
  7. My german is touchy, and I'm working on an article for a defense contractor's magazine. How do you say, "movement to the east" in a manner that looks like "drang nacht osten"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. monponsett, i answered your question as best i could in the comments for your scalzi post.  debra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb,
    I feel so stupid compared to you! Master's, partial PHD! JEEZ!
    I couldn't even get through one college semester...

    Would love to know what colleges you taught at in PENNA...Just moved from Pa.

    Thank-you for your complimentary comments in my journal recently. It makes me feel like I may not altogether have a cow's brain!

    Maryanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!