14 November 2007

ain't no happy hooker

i'm not confrontational.

however, when pushed to the extreme, i get my back up and get in your face.  now this isn't something that happens often (cuz i hate confrontation and have become rather isolated, minimizing interaction with others to a select few, at select times, in select methods); but when it does, i become two stories tall and fearless men cower like the scum they are.

(hear me roar)

today, i went to inquire at the shop if my order for crochet hooks (cabled and doubled) were in, yet.  nope.  in fact, the dude got attitude.  and so i unleashed my own attitude.  it went something like this:

dude:  yeah, can i hep ya?

me:  yes, i ordered crochet hooks two weeks ago and still haven't heard anything.

dude:  yeah, well, i'll be getting to those orders in the next few days.  cuz i just don't drop everything to order a crochet hook.

me:  two weeks ago, i pre-paid for these hooks that your wife special ordered using that (pointing to the lil scanner), while telling me that it would take about a week for them to come in.  last thursday, i called to inquire after the hooks and she told me that it would be tuesday or wed.  i still haven't heard anything, so here i am.  now, am i correct?  you are telling me that you haven't ordered them yet?  even though she assured me when i placed the order that they would be in the following week.  and now it is a full two weeks.  and you haven't even placed the order?

dude:  uhm.  well.  what's your name?  (reaching for a clipboard with lil notes sprawled and jotted in margins.  i tell him.)  well, i don't see you here.  but i spose i could give you your money back...?

me:  yes, that's a fine idea.  i have the receipt right here.

dude realizes that this was for some very special crochet hooks indeed, and seems to regret offering to refund what he may have thought was a paltry amount of run of the mill aluminum hooks that i could find at walmart.  as he is slowly punching the numbers in, and scowling at the receipt as tho i may have forged it; i spy my order info written on a note taped to the catalog (my phone number underlined in red).  i recall his wife reassuring me as she was writing my order, "we'll call as soon as they come in".

i pointed out the note to him, as he is handing me $32.08.  "oh," he says, picking up the note.  and ya know what?  it's ok.  it may have set my timing off, cuz instead of driving up to tupelo a couple weekends ago, i relied on these folks to be business-like in conduct; but, it's ok.  cuz i will get exactly what i am wanting, for a much better price.

the order?  it had been for a crochet hook with cable extending and also for a double-headed hook with cording between the hooks.  two hooks?  $32.  they coulda had a good deal of future business from me, being that i placed the order the very first visit.  their loss.

i'm moving on.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!