03 September 2008

midweke {more fun to say than chimichanga}

Happy Hump Day!  Mid-week is oft anticipated as getting over the up hill battles for the week and relief is in sight in the form of the following weekend.  I woke this morning at about 5a and did some laundry and stuff that is best done before the day heats up.

Now, I think I may start John Lescroart's "The First Law".  Yesterday, I finished "The Mercy Rule"; taking longer than usual to read it.  But I was pleased to be able to do so, since a month ago, I wasn't able to read but a hundred or so pages in two weeks.  I just wasn't able to focus on anything for longer than a paragraph or a page.

I may even finish Bernie Siegal's book today.  There is another non-fiction title that I borrowed last Friday from our local public library.  It was recommended by a counselor who works at Tupelo's Behavioral Health Unit, so I feel that it deserves some consideration.  It's Judith Viorst's "Necessary Losses".  A bit dated, however the message is still pertinent.  I had skimmed through it and it does read a little more meatier than Siegal's, and is mired in the thoughts of the day (over twenty years ago).

Psychology is a changing field and while it doesn't negate the entire book, there are some concepts that she steadfastly insists are "true" which are now considered to be one of many perspectives.  Viorst is a bit heavy on the theory of the day (uhm, that day, which was new and exciting then; perhaps slightly less so now).  The overall premise remains applicable, even if the details are less than accurate at this point.  Ya gotta take the crunchy with the smooth and not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

How's that for triteness?

1 comment:

  1. Does anybody ever really throw the baby out with the bathwater? LOL  
    When I was a kid I was afraid I'd go down the drain. So I had to get out of the tub before they pulled the plug or I'd get hysterical

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!