26 July 2010

I've got a fever and the only prescription is...


There's just been alotta stuff going on over here at Chez d'Wolf for the past couple~few weeks. Jerry's continually improving, this is his third week of PT and partial days at work. He isn't allowed to put weight on his leg yet, but we go to see the ortho~dude in a few weeks, I'm sure he'll have a different story. Cognitively, Jerry is improving, as well. He isn't quite up to par, but has made rapid and huge strides in that direction. There isn't a doubt in my mind that as far as most things go, if he isn't already there, he will be soon.

About two weeks ago, something bit me. I didn't see it, in fact, at the time, I didn't even feel it. But later that day, or maybe it was the next, the bite was definitely making itself known! High on the inside of my thigh, it is right about where my shorts' hem would have rubbed it, irritating it constantly, had I not taken steps to avoid that.

Then about a week ago, my joints started to swell and ache. My muscles felt like I'd been beaten with a ball~peen hammer, a rubber mallet, and a meat~tenderizer. At night, as I would crawl into bed, I thought I had the makings of flu, without the fever.

That changed tho. Saturday night, I started running a fever of 101. I ended up changing my t~shirt three times due to night~sweats. I got the chills. And when I got up Sunday morning, I had these lovely red dots all over my arms.

This morning, after dropping Jerry at work, I went to see my GP. I was running a fever of 102. My joints in my upper body were swollen visibly. My left wrist was so swollen and painful, we thought it might be broken. I was feeling miserable.

Then my GP, her colleagues, several nurses, lab~techs, and a few other patients all crammed in my room to gawk at me. Wow, you probably won't ever see this again. This is something not generally found outside of the western mountains, let alone in the flats of Mississippi.

Jaynie assured me that we've probably caught it early enough that after treatment, it should go away entirely, with no lingering effects like recurrent joint pain. Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! Can I just crumple up and sleep on the nice cool tile right here in your office?

It's tick~fever. It's not contagious. And after I took the first dose this morning and slept for a few hours, I already feel sooooOOOooo much better. The swelling in my joints is receding, the muscle aches are not nearly as bad. I go back to see Jaynie on Wed morning, just to check in and let her track the progress {she likes to look and poke at weird things and I qualify}.

So, tahDAH! Much better. ahhh.

2 comments:

  1. And though I might have thought about it - I was not the one to nibble on you. Love YA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid ticks and mosquitoes! I'm so paranoid about the crap these blood-sucking freaks carry. Glad you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!