06 August 2005

Fresh figs!!!

A few years ago, when I first moved to Mississippi, one of my office-mates brought in some succulent little creamy rose-tinted fruits.  I tried one, it was soooooooooo good, that I ate another three.

Finally, I asked her what they were.  She seemed surprised that I didn't know that they were figs.  I didn't even know figs grew in these parts.  But yup they do.

So, my landlords have three "bushes" (that's what they call em, but they look like fully grown trees to me).  The figs are ripening as I type.  There has already been a first picking.  But, I can meander down that way and pick me some in a few days when these ripen the rest of the way.

Now for those of you who have never eaten a fresh fig let me tell you that you are missing a real treat.  Think of a grape and then a raison.  Ok, THAT'S the difference between a dried fig and a fresh one.

A fresh fig is soft, bursting with sweet honeyed nectar mixed with a slight berry taste.  The seeds are reddish pink and are not hard and gritty, but are flavorful themselves .  So gooooood, your mouth will be happy you tried one.

I can hardly wait to go fig pickin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!