21 June 2005

...by any other name, is just the same

Well, that's not entirely true.  But whether you call them sandwiches, scrammiches, crammiches, sammiches, sammies, hougies, sub, BLT, clubs, pb & j's, fluffer-nutters, po'boys, stackers, reubens, sloppy joe's, burgers, et al.; you basically know that you are going to get some sort of filling, stuffed in bread.  Lots of folks have extremely rigid rules about what constitutes authentic sandwiches and any particular derivation there of.  I insist that reubens must be served on toast rye, with sauerkraut, swiss, thousand island dressing, and corned beef.  But that is just me.

The other day, I got a hankering (that's right, I said 'a hankering') for some sandwiches.  So off I went to the deli (not a real one, but as close to, what we have to make do with in this area, Wal-Mart's deli, while not being bad, it is not a DELI, ya know?).  I got some lunchmeats and cheeses.  I found some tomatoes and chips.

Since I already have multigrain bread, the first thing I did when I got home was stack it with provolon cheese, tomato slices, and braunschweiger (liverwurst).  I had not had a sandwich like that since I lived in Pennsylvania, sitting in my grandfather's kitchen as a child, munching away.  In fact, it was so good, I fixed another one.

I also am fully stocked on nutella, peanut butter (smooth and creamy as well as crunchy), various jellies, marshmallow fluff (creme), and a snicker's flavored PB MAX (which is actually quite good).  I even found some Smucker's GOOBER striped strawberry jelly and peanut butter in a jar at the local "2nd Chance Grocery" (like a bent and dent).

Now I am sure we can all come up with concoctions that others found to be just downright gross....Personally, I don't think I could stomach a peanut butter and onion sandwich, but if you can, more power to ya.  I don't mind that some folks turn their noses up at my peanut butter and banana sandwich, it means there is more for me.  Cuz when I crave (ya know, get a hankering) for a certain combo, I get stuck on them for awhile.  Currently I am well stocked.

I have not gone to the extremes of joining any of the Sandwich Clubs.  I have no sandwich named after me.  I don't collect sandwich recipes (well, I don't collect recipes of any kind, I kinda wing it).  I am not going to go into the entire history of sandwiches, cuz you can do that on your own if you want.

But I will gladly recommend Lenny's Subs.  It is an expanding franchise that strikes as close to authentic subs as possible.  If there isn't one near you, there most likely will be soon.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I haven't had a fluffen-nutter in years.....hmmmmmmmm.....I may have to break down and make one.  Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!