29 May 2005

Another one bites the dust...?

Ok, I don't know much about sports.  To give an example of my ignorance, we'll take a look at today.  I went with my guy to his mom's for Sunday Dinner.  His sisters and their families were there as well.

Here's the scene:  I'm sitting in the sitting room (how appropriate) with the two husbands of my guys two sisters (also appropriate, doncha think?).  They are watching the races (ya know, cars, that go round and round and round).  I ask, "which race is this?"  "Indianapolis"

K, that's like, half the stuff I know about racing.  Yesterday I saw where a FEMALE is driving in today's race.  I don't know why that made my proud, it's not like I had ANYTHING to do with it...but proud I was anyway.  You would have thought I had something vested in her performance.

The woman did good.  Took 4th place.  Wow.  Really.  Wow.

Ok, during the same time frame, the husbands begin to discuss the SEC championship between Ole Miss and MSU.  Now, my guy's grandfather coached many girls through softball and while his family is not rabid, they are interested in local teams as a whole.  So, news of the playoffs spreads to the rest of the family present.

Flash to later in the afternoon...my guy and I are riding back from a quick trip to the mall to get my hair cut.  I say, "Ya know, if we hurry, we might catch kickoff."  My guy does that sort of bobble-headed nod that says something like, "I hear what you are saying, I just don't understand what you are saying."

So I clarify, "ya know, the SEC championship?  Ole Miss and MSU?"

He is still doing that kind of civil-treat-with-care reaction which includes looking a bit wary.  So I try again, "don't you wanna see that?  I mean, it should be big, right?  I mean I know it's not Jackie Sherrill, but still...."  At this, my guy raises his eyebrows and inhales deeply through his nose and lets it out slowly through his mouth.  Sensing I have done something not quite right, I fall silent.


I figure out what I did wrong only when we get back to the house and  my guy starts flipping through the channels.   He asked his mom about ESPN and BASEBALL.   OMG, guys!!   I thought they were talking football earlier.  I'm such a doofus.

So the score was Ole Miss (1) and MSU (4).  Even though my guy is currently enrolled in Ole Miss and my school is MSU, we don't act as a house divided.  I mean, really, how big of a deal CAN it be when I don't even know WHAT it is that makes it a big deal to start with...I am so sidelined on the whole sport thing, again, still, and most likely, forever more.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain....I only know basketball and that is through osmosis.   Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!