31 March 2010

current project {continued}

Well, I've been piecing the crocheted hexagons together for the last three days. There are 120 seven~inch hexagons, with no two the same. After I crocheted all the hexagons, I joined them together in rows of twelve, with the centers as the common focal point. And now I am joining the ten rows together.

I've done ten groups of twelve, with the centers forming the bases. So that each hexagon in each of the ten groups all share the same shade and color center, with twelve different colors forming the outside rounds on the hexagons. Each hexagon is two colors, the inside center of three rounds in one color and the outside two rounds in a different color.

I've used about fifteen colors in all, because some shades I ran out and had to substitute another slightly different shade. However, there is enough continuity in the shading that I think I am able to have an overall pattern that is appealing to the eye. What do you think?

I've only joined three rows thus far, and have seven more to go. But I wanted to get some pictures while the room was nice and bright with the wonderful afternoon sunlight. In the chair that my friend gave me {yes, I have TWO friends!} which matches a chair that is in a yet~to~be~cleaned room in My Jerry's house, is a stack of seven rows of twelve hexagons.

Those rows have yet to be joined to the entire afghan that you see the scant beginnings of here. I laid the strip of three completed and joined rows diagonally across my queen~sized bed for this series of pix. I think that the finished project will be large enough to either use on a queen~size with enough hang~over around it to be adequately comfortable or to cover the top of a king~sized bed with little hang~over.

I'll be sure to take pix of the entire completed project. I want to edge it with the same shade that I am using to join the rows. Since the pattern is based on a traditional quilt pattern called grandmother's country flower garden, I wanted to join the rows in a green to symbolize the vines, leaves, stalks, and stems you usually find supporting the flowers in the garden.

Here in the South, kudzu is fairly common. And I found a shade called Tea Leaf that I thought would nicely cohere all the other colors found in this flower bed. I can't wait to see the final project!

1 comment:

  1. I'm readin' the entries backwards -- so I know how this ends! :)


Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!