11 February 2010

whine~tard

About a year or two ago I discovered that I was completely misinformed about sushi.

I'ven't become an expert since, but I have learned how much I really don't know about much of anything.

Sushi doesn't refer to raw fish as I'd thought for over thirty five years. But rather sushi is actually the vinegar rice that is somewhat sticky and easily formed. Sushi technically means "sour", and since it refers to vinegar rice, I'd say that's more than accurate.

I look at sushi for newbies {cuz I still are one} in the same way that I look at most any consumable that is an acquired taste. I advise you to go to where it is consumed fairly rapidly so that it is as freshly made as can be. This principle can be applies across the board.

No one should order anchovies at a pizza place that has to dig deep into the stores to find that last lonely rusted can that was ordered by mistake and forgotten about. If you want to try anchovies, go someplace that uses them often and regularly so that you can have a decent experience rather than base your first and lasting impressions on inferior product. The same is true of sushi.

Good sushi is firm, fresh, and should look, taste, and smell pleasing. It should have excellent mouth feel and is meant to be enjoyed, not gulped in a grimacing effort as if to say, "there, i've tried it" in response to an ill~advised dare. It isn't for everyone, and that's alright.

Sushi is generally rolled with or topped with meats {fish eel, squid, shrimp, crab, tuna, etc}, cream cheese, eggs, sauces, seeds, wasabi, and veggies. If rolled, you may see pressed sheets of seaweed lending some structure and taste. The veggies range from slivers of carrot, zucchini, avocado, radish, scallions, cucumber to bean sprouts, baby corn, peas, and other crunchies.

I've not yet ventured to make sushi myself. But as with wine, I do not need to know much to appreciate and enjoy it. Neither do I need to be able to prepare something here at home to learn more about understanding it. Altho that helps.

My family, primarily my mother and brother, make wine. The wine they have been making these past few years have been light and fruity: plum, pear, muscadine, blueberry, blackberry, and strawberry all either grow on their property or locally available. The kiwi/strawberry, chocolate raspberry, citrus/mango, and a few other types are made using syrups, concentrates, and other additives {yea, hershey's!}. Some of the base to the wines might be readily available juices such as white grape, apple, etc. The point is, they are having fun with experimenting and finding those favorites {plum} and not so greats {peach, 'twas the pits people}.

In the meantime, I've been having a grand time trying and enjoying various tastes and treats too. I'm not a connoisseur, by any means. But I've learned to relax and not feel the need to know about the entire process from growing, to pressing, to fermenting in order to enjoy what it is.

I'm trying to keep that in mind and apply that toward other areas of my life. It's ok to want to know, or to research and learn what I can, yes. But it's also ok to be a techno~tard and not get all the science behind the gadgetry in order to use it. And it certainly is ok to enjoy the eats and not need to know how to whip it up myself.

Altho sometimes, I'm just geeky that way. And ya love me, ya know ya do. *wink*

2 comments:

  1. Great, insightful comments on the Sushi! And yeah, I do love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a sushi fan, but I'm no expert at all. I should learn more because it's so good. I hate wine and so I will probably never bother studying it. Beer on the other hand....
    ;)
    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!