17 January 2006

Fruits and Veggies

My friend home-schools her daughter, who is six.  She asked if I would work with her daughter on sign language.  I have tons of material and access to even more.

I figured if we could start with fingerspelling then move onto vocabulary groups, that might be the best way to approach it.  So, fruits and vegetables are going to be some of the first signs that we work on.  Their family eats no flesh, although they do eat ice-cream, use butter, and sparingly eat cheese.  The bulk of their diet consists of beans, rice, greens, cornbread, and other good stuff of that nature.

So I thought, fruit, apples, peaches, grapes, potatoes, tomatoes, and such would be applicable and a good place to start.  She can use the signs effectively and that makes it more fun for her.  I think that the little one (who is a little over a year and a half) will learn some too.

2 comments:

  1. that is such a wonderful thing to know and then to teach to someone else. I always wanted to learn sign language (and may one day). I think your approach with going with fruits and veggies, something very familiar to her, is a good start! have fun with it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once knew a women who taught her child "colors" with M&M's.   haaa   Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and effort to let your thoughts be known!